Friday, September 15, 2017

Kassandra's big renovation part 4 - Parlor, day one

And here comes the complicated part!

Kassandra's parlor is connected to the hall by two flights of stairs.  Obviously, I cannot take them out to glue the wallpapers, so I had to work my way around that.

I started, as always, by clearing out everything in the walls - this time including the curtains, because I wanted to start with the left wall, as I thought it would be the less difficult one.


For this room, the chosen wallpaper was a lovely damask design with wood accents; of course, created by the talented Ana.  For the left wall I decided to leave the wood panels, but I would remove them for the rest of the room.  There will be two big furniture pieces in front of the back wall, and they would not be really visible.  So once again I took measurements and modified the designs to suit them.  When I printed the sheet I realized I needed a little piece at the top to cover the whole wall, so I added a swirly wood cornice at the top.  At first it measured 1 cm, but it ended up being a bit short, so I made it of 2 cm.

Cornice not big enough
Silly me, I threw out the pattern I made when I did the study, not thinking about saving it; I only would have had to turn it around to cut the parlor sheet.  Alas, I simply took the measurement, drew them in the back of the sheet and cut.  Thankfully, this time I did not make any mistakes!


And then it was good to be glued to the wall.

Yay!  One down, two to go...
After that, I decided to do the back wall.  I supposed it would not be very difficult, but I had to adjust my way around the rail.  It was very easy to trim it to fit the wall size; cutting the holes to adjust it to the staircase rail was another matter.  But since the paper was thick I did not tear it apart, which was my main concern.  And after several tries, it was done.

But I did not glue it yet.  I wanted to do the staircase hole first. so the mounting would be less obvious.  It was like a puzzle game to adjust the pattern so it would align with the design on the newly made wall.  It only took two tries!

First piece glued
You can barely see where they meet
It looks awesome!
Then it came the time to do the third wall.  But since it has the flight of stairs, I decided to try to do the hall first, since it was more accesible for my hands, and maybe I could reuse the pattern.

So onto the hall next!

No comments: